A smoothie can be healthy, filling and delicious. Whether you are looking for a breakfast option or simply a 4 o’clock snack, a good smoothie can be a great treat. What’s more, you get a blast of carbs, proteins, and various vitamins.
The best thing about smoothies is that you can make it right at the comfort of your own using your personal blender. If you do not own a blender. https://www.blenderfriend.com/personal/ has some great reviews on the best buys.
What makes a great smoothie is the combination of fruit and yoghurt. You can use ground raw cashews or oatmeal in place of yoghurt.
Some of the easy smoothies you can easily prepare include:
Mango and Banana Smoothie
This has got to be the most popular type of smoothie. All you need is a sliced mango, a banana, a cup of vanilla yogurt and a cup of milk. Blend the banana, mango and yoghurt until smooth. Add in the milk and blend. You can add ice cubes or simply use frozen mangoes if you are looking to have your smoothie chilled.
Beet and Raspberry smoothie
Beets have nitric acid which aids in increasing of blood flow through the body. Raspberries are also high in Vitamin C and would be a great addition if you are looking for that glowing and radiant skin.
- Chilled 250 ml cranberry juice
- 220 g low fat plain yogurt
- 140g coarsely chopped beetroots
- 70 g frozen or fresh raspberries
- In a personal blender, place the beetroot, cranberry juice and raspberries. Blend this mixture until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into a jug. Put some yogurt.
- Take a glass and pour your smoothie in. You can top it up with the extra yoghurt and garnish it with the remaining raspberries.
Orange and Blueberry Yogurt Smoothie
A half cup of fresh orange juice has the same nutrients as those you would find in the fruit. Raspberries are also a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C. Combining these two ingredients will give you a creamy and sweet smoothie perfect for your morning breakfast.
- A cup of plain low fat yogurt
- A cup of fresh orange juice
- Ice cubes
- A cup of fresh blueberries
- A half teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a blender, pour in the vanilla, blueberries, yogurt, and orange juice. Puree the mixture until smooth.
- The smoothie is ready to be served.
Flaxseed and Berry Smoothie
Flaxseeds are rich in fiber and lignans, a component that’s been shown to reduce tumor growth in women diagnosed with breast cancer. Moreover they have omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium which helps control blood sugar and reduce inflammation.
- A small sliced banana
- A half cup vanilla yogurt
- A half cup orange juice
- Two teaspoons whole flaxseeds
- A cup of unsweetened blueberries or mixed berries
In a blender, place the flaxseeds and grind them into a powder form. Add in the banana, berries, yogurt, and orange juice. Blend until smooth.
Banana and Peanut Butter Smoothie
Bananas contain potassium which helps to stabilize your blood pressure levels. They also contain vitamin B6 which balances your blood sugar levels. Peanuts provide you with a protein boost and make your smoothie creamier.
- A teaspoon of peanut butter
- A banana cut into small chunks
- Ice cubes
- A cup of skim milk
- Pour the banana in the blender and puree for thirty seconds
- Add the peanut butter and blend
- Take the ice cubes and place them in the mixture. Blend until most of them are crushed
- Add the skim milk and process until smooth,
Avocado and Mango smoothie
Avocadoes are awesome due to their nutrients, healthy fats and their ability to lower your cholesterol levels. Adding an avocado into your smoothie makes it rich and creamier.
- A quarter cup skim milk
- A cup of a chopped mango
- A quarter avocado chopped
- A half cup of mango sorbet
- Two tablespoons honey
- Crushed ice
- Two teaspoons lime juice
- Place the avocado, sorbet, chopped mango, honey, milk, ice and lime juice. Blend the mixture until even.
- Garnish with the remaining mango and lime before serving.
Tutti Frutti Smoothie
- A half cup plain yogurt
- A half cup sliced banana
- A half cup crushed pineapple
- A cup of mixed berries
- A quarter cup orange juice
- In a blender, combine the orange juice, berries, banana and pineapple.
- Blend the mixture for about 30 seconds.
If you are creative and love to try new things, ensure that you have no more than 3 fruits at one time. Yogurt helps to make the smoothie creamier and reduces the over empowering flavor.