For the convenience factor in this modern day and age a baby stroller is essential. You can look for one that will last you for years depending on how many children you have.
So here are the benefits;
- They make it easy to transport baby
- They are soothing for the baby
- They are safe with a safety harness, protective frame and sunshade
- It is easier to carry all the baby accessories plus your own
- It is great for shopping at least for a few items anyway
- Good to get back into walking and getting in shape
Spending a little extra
It really depends on your family planning on how long you will need a single baby stroller. The best made plans do not always work out, but, if you think you are going to have one baby for now, your stroller may last you up to the age of 3 from 6 months. Some even have a good resale value now, so look out for those. Although it will be buyer beware for purchasing a second hand model, so make sure you check everything for safety and comfort if you buy second hand. If you sell it on then you should tell anyone who buys it what sort of maintenance it needs.
- Weight = 16 – 32 lbs.
- Car seat adaptor as standard
- Ample storage space
- Comfortable seats
- Bigger, easy moving wheels
- Some have fully reclined position seating (for bassinet)
- Some have a bassinet included (going up market)
Infant car seat frame
An infant car seat frame stroller is excellent for the first 6 – 12 months as they include a frame that the car seat clips into. As mentioned before if you plan to have your children fairly close together then this is always handy. If you plan to have twins well, that is another story!
These little babies, car seat frame strollers are great if you think you will need to be running around in the car a lot of the time. Perhaps going to back to work, taking your little one to nursery and that type of commuting it is nice and lightweight.
Other benefits include;
- Weight is only 11 to 16 lbs.
- It is inexpensive
- It is compact
Lightweight or Umbrella
- Very lightweight weighing in at only 8 – 17 lbs.
- Not suitable until baby is about 6 months old (sitting up)
- They have smaller wheels
- And do not have car seat adapters
They are suitable if you tend to keep to your local area and walk a lot, they are easily foldable for public transport as well.
Jogging baby strollers
Jogging baby strollers are a subject all of their own, they have great shock absorbers, large air filled tired (three of them!) and can weigh anything between 23 – 31 lbs. and are really only suited to jogging with your infant.
Double Baby Strollers
- Can be two seats side by side or can be tandem seats and are essential for twins.
- They can also work with siblings but sometimes it may be easier to use a baby carrier and a single stroller.
- They are mostly weighing in at 21 – 36 lbs. and can fit through most doorways, although not all places will be so stroller friendly.
- For twins car seat frames also come in tandem or rather double versions and they may be easier to use in the first year or so.
It may be easier to think in terms of the first 6 months and then 6 months to 3 years, this can make it easier to make your choice.
So you may have a slight overlap with strolling in the car seat with either a car seat adapter for your stroller or a car seat frame and then think about your long term needs.
Look for a clip in care seat adapter or frame that clicks into place rather than straps in, that is a far easier option.
You can use this as a safe and comfortable support for the first 6 months or even up to one year.
Then you have to start thinking about the best type of baby stroller for next couple of years. The car seat stroller can be put away until you need it again.
Putting off the purchase of a long term baby stroller is better as you can shop around a bit and make your decision based on your needs.